Mets

Mets
The Only Team That Ever Matters...

Saturday, April 21, 2007

The New York Metropolitans...

I have been a New York Mets fan since I was eleven years old, although I had to keep my admiration of the Mets closeted due to the rabid fanfare that my relatives gave to Atlanta Braves. When I entered college, I began to vocally demonstrate my rabid support of the Mets. This blog exists as an extension of my own passion and love for all things concerning the New York Mets. I've just started it, so I'm still updating it and getting it up to speed, but as time rolls on, you'll see it start to take shape.

When you truly love a team, you stay with them through the success and the trials. Throughout the nineties, we Mets fans suffered as the Braves rolled up fourteen straight division championships and as our front office invested in one high priced but underperforming free agent after another (Mo Vaughn and Roberto Alomar, I'm talkin' to you!). The 2006 season saw us turn the corner by claiming the NL East crown and going all the way to the NLCS, where we would eventually lose in heartbreaking fashion to the eventual World Series champions the St. Louis Cardinals.

However, we're back for 2007 with a winning attitude and a roster full of promise. I guarantee that we are going to win the World Series this year. I bet my good friend Tommy "T-Bag" Larue one hundred dollars that this was the year my Mets would win the Series. Tommy is still recovering from the embarassing loss he suffered at the hands of the Auburn Tigers in the Iron Bowl when they defeated his Alabama Crimson Tide for the fifth consecutive time. As I am also an Auburn fan, I bet Tommy all the chicken wings he could eat that we'd win. He returned the bet my way. I have yet to collect, but I have no doubt that I eventually will.

Tommy may be a fan of the Atlanta Braves and the Alabama Crimson Tide, but he's a stand up guy who's as good as his word. He's just misguided in his choice of sports teams. I think that he slipped through the doctor's hands during the delivery and hit the floor headfirst. That's all right, though. He's still a good guy, and I enjoy taking his money and getting free meals when he makes bets with me.

Part of the fun of being a fan of one team is talking smack about other teams. I hate the Atlanta Braves with a total and all-consuming fiery passion. You cannot be a Mets fan and fail to hate the Braves. The Braves represent all that is soulless and evil in baseball. The only way that they could be worse is if Bud Selig owned them. However, I give the Braves their due: they consistently field good teams that compete with everybody. It's the method through which they achieve success that I have issues with.

A little known fact of baseball lore is that Ted Turner is an acolyte of Satan. When he purchased the Atlanta Braves and built them into a juggernaut, he did so by engaging in a pact with the Devil. He and his high priestess of darkness Jane Fonda sealed the pact by slicing the left foot off of an infant and burning it in a fire along with their Satanic contract. Ever since this Satanic pact, the Braves have enjoyed phenomenal success.

However, the Mets were able to redeem Tom Glavine from the clutches of evil and turn him away from the Ninth Circle of Darkness. Thus began our odyssey back to the pinnacle of the National League East Division. With Tom restored to the light, we were able to subdue the evil of the Atlanta Braves and claim a division title last year. However, the Deacon of Darkness remains firmly ensconced in the Atlanta Braves organization...and this provides a source of great consternation to Tom Glavine. His old friend John Smoltz continues to serve evil as he pitches for the Atlanta Braves.

We believe that we can save Smoltz as well. He'll be a free agent after this year, and we can make him an offer that will save his soul from the fires of eternal damnation while enabling us to bolster our pitching staff. We look forward to the day when Smoltz and Glavine are reunited in the redemptive sartorial resplendence of Mets uniforms.

We will restore balance to the universe and enable good to prevail. We have vanquished the Atlanta Braves once already...and now what remains is to finally subdue our crosstown rivals the Yankees once and for all. We are also looking ahead to the day when we can deal with the malignant cancer of a commish that is Bud Selig.

2007 will be the year of a glorious resurgence for the Mets, and I'm excited to be a part of it as a fan and as a blogger. I'll be bring you the updates, the news, and the excitement that is New York Mets baseball. I'll also try to find you the coolest images, videos, and websites pertaining to the Mets. I'll look to entertain and inform you with this blog.


Here's hoping you enjoy it! Go Mets!


Jay Bates

No comments: